EENT and Sleep Disorders Q 90 - Gyan Darpan : Learning Portal
Get GK Updates on WhatsApp

Post Top Ad

Monday, 21 March 2022

EENT and Sleep Disorders Q 90

The nurse understands that the most vivid dreaming occurs during:
     A. REM sleep
     B. Stage 1 NREM
     C. Stage 4 NREM
     D. Transition period from NREM to REM sleep.

Correct Answer: A. REM sleep

Although dreams occur during both NREM and REM sleep, the dreams of REM sleep are more vivid and elaborate and are believed to be functionally important to learning, memory processing, and adaptation to stress. REM is the phase of sleep responsible for dreaming. It is characterized by total body voluntary muscle paralysis (except for the extraocular muscles). This paralysis is thought to be a mechanism to prevent neural stimulus from dreams to manifest in actual muscular impulses during sleep.

Option B: NREM stage 1 is the shallow stage of sleep where a person is still easily awoken. It lasts 1 to 7 minutes. Rhythmical alpha waves characterize electroencephalogram (EEG) at a frequency of 8 to 13 cycles per second.
Option C: NREM sleep is subdivided into several stages numbered 1 to 3. Each phase and stage represents the relative depth of sleep and offers unique characteristics in the brain wave, muscle tones, and eye movement patterns. As the name implies, NREM is characterized by an absence of eye movements.
Option D: Sleep begins with a short NREM stage 1 phase, followed by NREM stage 2, then NREM stage 3, then finally into REM. NREM accounts for approximately 75% to 80% of total sleep, and REM accounts for the remaining 20% to 25% of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad